This country has a very hypocritical attitude towards alcohol and other things. For instance, you can have sex at 16 in some states, 12 in others. You can smoke at 18 and you can drink at 21. You are eligible for the draft at 18 and its a bit frightening to realise that you are legally able to kill others before you are allowed to drink.
I also don't get the ID for everything attitude. We were refused the purchase of wine because I didn't have any photo ID on me, in spite of the fact that I wasn't buying the damn stuff and I am clearly well over 21. I stood there arguing and arguing and eventually was pulled out into the parking lot by my companion, who can clearly recognise an impasse when he sees one (and who undoubtedly wants to shop there again some time).
And what's with the whole alcohol wherever the hell you buy anything else sort of attitude?
Need some more alcohol to prevent your high wearing off? The petrol station has it.
Want some booze with your aspirin to help your next day hangover? The pharmacy has it.
Shopping and feel the need for booze with your, oh I don't know, stationery purchases? Next aisle down.
People here all seem remarkably cavalier about drink driving too. The authorities post huge signs about it but they don't have RBT (Random Breath Testing) and the police are not allowed to pull you over without probable cause. This means that almost everybody will drink at least a little (or a lot) before driving, rather than avoiding it altogether on a night out as we would.
And as for the thought of walking around the corner to a shop or a bar or whatever, wash your mind out. If God had wanted Americans to walk he wouldn't have given them such big cars. 50 metres is a long way, baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment