Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hey, I can cook Yank!

Biscuits!

I'd heard a lot about this American breakfast of biscuits and gravy. Of course, us Australians think sweet biscuits and they call those cookies here. So, I figured it might be something like pancakes or pikelets or scones. Nope.

Biscuits here are a yeast based product and taste totally unlike anything I've ever eaten back home. As this country is really lazy, they come in convenient pre-packaged forms that you just put in the oven and they can be bought in the cold foods sections of the supermarket, in a can.
But he convinced me to try the canned ones and said that he'd make them for me. He made me open the can, though. I am not used to breakfast foods that explode in my face, especially at an early hour of the day. You dig a teaspoon into a special weakened spot on the can and suddenly there was a loud bang and it exploded in my face, like one of those can-of-nuts-with-a-snake joke tins we all used to love as kids. That and the snapping shut chewing gum sticks when you pulled them out. I spent a LOT of money at the joke shop when I was a kid.


They come in pre-moulded rounds of dough and you simply chuck them on the baking tray.
They were so good, people! I could tell that they were immediately shortening my lifespan by at least one day for every biscuit but I'm prepared to do trade-offs. I am immediately hooked. So we've bought a few more cans since then and now a mix. I mixed it up myself. Even got fancy and added ham and cheese and herbs to some. They've just come out of the oven now and they look and smell great.

Speaking of eating, this is what I have tried in the past few days:

taffy
pomegranite vodka
hard cider
jelly donut

No comments: