Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Straight out of 'The Birds'




My parents were out to dinner and I stayed up late by myself watching an old rerun of 'The Birds'. I was so scared that I couldn't go to bed until they got back, some 3 hours later.

It left a scar and I really have never cared for birds since. Little ones are more tolerable but the bigger they are, the eviller they look and years of being swooped by magpies has only served to consolidate these beliefs.

Seagulls were always given a little bit of an out because thery are very amusing to me.
They clean up food and scraps, they aren't terribly aggressive as a rule, and there is always the delightful chance that they will crap copiously on somebody's head.

They've just lost their out.

People, look at the frigging size of those things here in America:
Guaranteed un-retouched. They have to be at least a third as big again as the ones in Australia. The first time I saw them, I asked Paul what type of birds they were and refused to believe his answers. I thought they might be albatrosses, they are that big.

This picture was taken from INSIDE the car, for safety purposes. That guy feeding them is either incredibly foolhardy or very brave. There was a mother with a kid over the way who was running to her car because this flock of a godzillion birds was after her child. If I had a baby I would not leave it unattended anywhere around here.

Look at the bottom one, perched on top of a sign around 40cm by 30 cm.
The warning is clearly a bluff. No freaking way anybody is getting close enough to those feathers to move it anywhere!

No comments: